Located a little over an hour from our romantic cabins in West Virginia, the city of Roanoke, Virginia, nicknamed as the “Star City of the South” has many family fun activities! From galleries to museums to scenic drives and outdoor recreational activities, there’s always something fun for the family to do. Read on for five unique family-friendly things to do near Roanoke, Virginia…
Visit the Animals
Located at the top of Mill Mountain, Mill Mountain Zoo overlooks the city of Roanoke and takes about an hour and a half to get to from our WV cabin rentals. The zoo is home to 170 animals from almost 90 different species and is sure to be a fun day for the family! Guests of Four Fillies Lodge can spend a day at the zoo followed by dinner in downtown Roanoke, Virginia.
In addition to Mill Mountain Zoo, guests can visit the Alpacas of Smith Mountain Lake Farm an hour and 50 minutes away from our property in Hardy, VA.
Museums are always a fun and educational sightseeing experience when visiting the city of Roanoke. Here in Roanoke, you can visit The Museum of Transportation which showcases a glimpse of the history of transportation as well as a collection of steam, diesel, and electric locomotives. Visitors can also explore the Science Museum of Western Virginia as well as the Roanoke Pinball Museum and the History Museum of Western Virginia.
This stunning drive through the winding roads of the Blue Ridge Mountains is called the Blue Ridge Parkway. The drive is 469 miles long and takes you through some of the most beautiful mountain landscapes. For an even more breathtaking experience we recommend taking the drive in the fall!
Roanoke, Virginia’s Explore Park, located approximately an hour and a half from Four Fillies Lodge offers a full day of activity for your family! It has everything from zip lining to mountain biking to kayaking, tubing, and SUP rentals, and hiking trails. The Explore Park is 1,100 acres of beautiful land that is full of adventure. After a day of fun at the Explore Park, families can head back through downtown Roanoke and grab a bite to eat at one of the city’s amazing restaurants.
While looking for things to do near Roanoke, VA be sure to check out these fantastic places to grab a bite to eat!
- Billy’s – Billy’s offers delicious brunch, lunch and dinner menus, plus an extensive wine, whiskey and cocktail selection for those of age.
- Mission BBQ – Enjoy authentic barbeque made from fresh, local ingredients in a patriotic dining room.
- Blue Cow Ice Cream Co. – Blue Cow specializes in artisan small-batch ice creams with classic and unique flavors such as Red Rooster Coffee with Chocolate Chip, Oreo, Birthday Cake and Goat Cheese with Blueberry Swirl.
- Pop’s Ice Cream and Soda Bar – From milkshakes and sundaes to ice-cream soda floats, there is something for everyone to enjoy at Pop’s.
- Beamer’s 25 – Grab a bite to eat at Coach Frank Beamer’s establishment. Coach Beamer was the head football coach of the Virginia Tech Hokies for more than 25 years.
- Grace’s Place Pizzeria – For a premier Italian experience, there is no better place than Grace’s.
There is no better place to stay near Roanoke, VA than Four Fillies Lodge. Choose from unique West Virginia lodging options including log and glass cabins, a safari lodge and treehouse, and gypsy wagons. We even offer WV pet friendly cabins so you can bring your furry family member on your adventures. With comfortable lodging, onsite trails, sport court, fishing pond and more, Four Fillies Lodge is the ideal place to call home while uncovering all the family-friendly things to do near Roanoke, VA.